[dmd-internals] dmd commit, revision 657

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 2 21:38:49 PDT 2010

On 9/2/2010 3:00 PM, Walter Bright wrote:

> Brad Roberts wrote:
>> The major wish I have is that walter would start using the public test suite
>> rather than the private one.  I'm working on getting the public one to work on
>> windows -- making good progress, it runs most of the tests now.
>>

> It already works fine on Windows, and I disagree that it needed reengineering so
> that it wouldn't.

If you honestly think what I did was engineer it so that it wouldn't work on
windows, we need to talk.  It needed reenginering for other reasons (probably
incomplete, but this is off the top of my head and quickly written):

1) to use a single driver for all platforms rather than one for each that were
never kept in sync -- an old argument you keep loosing

2) to run tests in parallel -- your attempts at doing that in your custom shell
engine didn't work out terribly well

3) to separate test driver output from test output -- spewing all that output to
the screen is a mess.  Tests should have a single line of output: name of test
and pass or fail

4) to make it easy to run subsets of the test suite, specifically easy to run
the one that's failing.

5) to run _all_ of the test suite -- note the 4 bugs I filed based on the
failure tests that hadn't been run or would have caught a couple regressions.

Also of potential interest.. the biggest problem I've had with the windows
support is switching from / to \ based on os since optlink can't handle it.  It
looked like everything else was happy -- though dmd might have had some issues,
I didn't try to isolate the issue between the two.  The o vs obj and nothing vs
.exe were trivial.  Support for \ is a pain in the ass.. having to \\ in places
-- right now something somewhere is retaining both \\'s rather than treating it
as one escaped.  I got frustrated with that and your post so I set aside the
project for the evening.

I'll finish it tomorrow or this weekend, maybe.