[dmd-internals] dmd commit, revision 663

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Tue Sep 7 11:46:16 PDT 2010

Brad Roberts wrote:
> On 9/7/2010 12:51 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>>
>>> There are 3 test cases that take very long to execute: testaa, testhread2 and
>>> testgc3. I have not even seen the latter finish before I got impatient and
>>> killed the process. I'd say these actually do not test the compiler, but the
>>> library, so maybe the pass counts could be reduced. Are these test way faster
>>> on linux?
>>>

>> testgc3, the longest running of the 3, takes 27 seconds on my Windows machine.
>>

> Takes 31 seconds on my linux box.. roughly the same.  There are several tests
> that are much closer to phobos or druntime tests than dmd tests.  I'm sure they
> are ancient and predate the meaningful separation of the three.  But it's also,
> generally, not worth quibbling about where exactly they live, still take time to
> execute no matter where they are and they probably shouldn't just go away.  But
> I could be convinced otherwise without too much trouble. :)

Ouch, there was still some extra checking in my version of aaa.d in
druntime, causing the slowdown. Without it, testgc3 now terminates well
before 30s. Sorry for the noise.

> Rainer, would you be in a good position to time both cygwin and msys on similar
> hardware?  I don't have the latter installed anywhere.

I have a desktop and a laptop, both with Core2Duo 2GHz, but the latter a
mobile version. The desktop has cygwin* installed (just updated the 5
year old version), while the laptop is running msys. Building "make -i
quick" took 7min28 with cygwin and 8:20 with msys. So I don't see a
considerable difference in speed for the installations.

Both runs showed average CPU usage of only 10% most of the time (i.e.
20% of one core). Both systems have rather fast disks (raptor vs ssd),
so my guess is that the excessive process spawning (2-3 bash instances
per test) causes the bad performance.

Rainer

(*) running these tests caused other problems due to cr/lf pairs: the
shell would not execute scripts with CR in them, so I had to convert the
*.sh files. Maybe these should not have svn:eol-style native set, but LF.