[dmd-internals] What is the point of runnable/testdate.d?

Steve Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 15 05:44:54 PDT 2011

>________________________________
>From: Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>
>
>On Sunday, August 14, 2011 13:11:29 Brad Roberts wrote:
>
>> Sorry for being blunter than I'd like to have been.. hard to figure out how
>> to ask questions like this politely.
>
>Well, I'm certainly not trying to be rude at all or shove my point down
>anyone's throat, and I certainly understand that you weren't trying to be
>rude. I guess that I should try to relearn how to write out arguments in e-
>mails such that I don't repeat myself as much, though that'll probably take
>time.

In the continued spirit of not being rude but offering advice (I hope!), I find that my emails come out much much better if I proof read them several times before sending :)  I end up eliminating repetitive statements quite a bit, or making sentences less wordy/simpler.  One thing's for sure about emails, once you send them, they can be scrutinized by everyone, and you can't really change them.  It's much different than having a verbal conversation, where stumbling or being wordy is forgotten quickly.

In contrast to your statement about essays, I learned (in a computer science ethics class of all places) it was better to make things *less* repetitive for academic work.  My essays got 100% better with some tweaking here or there.  I also hate essays that require so many words, it forces repetition.

FWIW, the consistency of your repetition is ample evidence that you are not trying to be rude :)  It's just the way you write.

-Steve