[dmd-internals] Building Phobos and druntime as a dylib on Mac OS X

Walter Bright walter at digitalmars.com
Fri Dec 2 12:27:05 PST 2011

On 12/1/2011 11:48 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 30 nov 2011, at 22:46, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> I'm waiting for gcc on the Mac to support TLS, which it must do soon. When it does, I'll change dmd to match it.
>
> That was kind of a disappointing answer.

What that means is there's a ton of work to do on dmd, and implementing TLS
three times is a waste of effort. dmd will eventually have to match what the
default C compiler does on the Mac.

I'm also not terribly concerned if TLS access is slow, only that it is correct.
This is because a program that depends on fast TLS access is badly designed, for
several reasons.

And lastly, if you wish to work on the OSX TLS, I do appreciate the efforts. I
think it can only help. Please look at how clang is doing it, if it is doing it.