[dmd-internals] Submitting DMD patches?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Feb 15 14:05:47 PST 2011

On Tuesday, February 15, 2011 12:36:01 Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> If I have a patch for a DMD issue, what's the preferred way of submitting
> that? Just attaching a diff in bugzilla? Fork the git repository and send
> a pull request ? If I should send a pull request where should I send that,
> to bugzilla, github or both ?

I believe that we're moving toward pull requests. So, you'd fork the repository
on github, make the changes, and the send a pull request via github (doing it on
a branch would mean that it would be nice and self-contained and that you could
do separate changes on other branches). That's certainly where we're going with
Phobos and druntime, and as far as I know, that's what Walter wants to start
happening for dmd as well, though he'll have to speak for himself on that count.

Certainly, dealing with a pull request is generally much cleaner than dealing
with a diff. Noting the pull request in bugzilla would still be a good idea
though.

Lars has created a Phobos contributor's guide which should be helpful (though
it's new and likely to be tweaked a bit): http://www.kyllingen.net/guide.html

- Jonathan M Davis