[dmd-internals] Changes for pure, nothrow, and @safe done for the moment?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Jun 26 20:09:37 PDT 2011

Walter, are the changes that you've been making to pure, nothrow, and @safe in
dmd essentially done for the moment? Or are there still more to come? They've
reaked some level of havoc with Phobos (for better or worse), and so assuming
that all of the changes that you've made are valid, some changes are going to
need to be made to Phobos so that the unit tests will compile again, but I
don't see much point in trying to sort any of that out if you're still in the
middle of making big changes.

Regardless, I'm particularly stumped by the errors in std.concurrency. It
seems like the combination of purity and nothrow inference and making the
compiler complain about calling pure nothrow functions without using the
result is breaking it (certainly, I don't see any pure nothrow functions in
there anywhere, so I have no idea how else it could be complaining about pure
nothrow functions having no effect). So, I don't know if that's a compiler
issue or an issue with std.concurrency. But I don't want to try and fix
anything yet if you're still making big changes.

- Jonathan M Davis