[dmd-internals] Has anyone other than Brad succeeded in building the d_do_test tool on Windows?

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 5 15:06:20 PST 2011

On 3/5/2011 8:17 AM, Don Clugston wrote:
> On 5 March 2011 10:12, Brad Roberts <braddr at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> On 3/5/2011 12:52 AM, Don Clugston wrote:
>>> I never have. Typical results:
>>>
>>> $ gnumake -I c:/sandbox/druntime/import
>>> Building d_do_test tool
>>> object.d: Error: module object is in file 'object.d' which cannot be read
>>> Specify path to file 'object.d' with -I switch
>>> gnumake: *** [test_results/d_do_test] Error 1
>>>
>>>  On my system, the command to compile foo.d with dmd, is "dmd foo.d".
>>> It really takes creativity to get a failure like the one above.
>>> Why on earth does the makefile have hard coded paths all through it?
>>> It seems to assume a hardcoded relationship between all of the source
>>> directories.
>>> Any use of ".." is suspect.
>>> This is the ONE AND ONLY D program that I have never been able to compile.
>>> I suspect Walter has never been able to get it to work, either.
>>
>> I don't understand your objection to having the test dir assume that the built dmd is in ../src/dmd, as, well, that's
>> exactly where the produced binary from the build process lives.
>
> I have viewed that only as a build directory. DMD is one component of
> a multi-component build.
> I always copy it to its correct location in dmd/windows/bin after a
> successful build. Dead simple.
>
>> I suspect the primary issue is that I always have either an sc.ini or dmd.conf file in .../dmd/src/ that 'just works'.
>
> I think that is impossible. I suspect you're not doing much building of D1.

I hardly ever touch d1 (though I've been considering adding it to the auto-tester), but I strongly suspect that it
wouldn't be a big problem either.  Regardless, for D2, the only version that has the public test suite, it _does_ just
work.  Nothing even remotely impossible about it.

Anyway, if you'd like to suggest some specific changes (preferably via patches), I'm certainly willing to discuss
changes.  But the bottom line is that it really does work, and quite well, on all platforms.  The problems I had on
windows weren't path related, they were path separator related.  Those were resolved a long time ago.  I'm really eager
for it to work well for others, so please help me improve it so that you're happy with it too.

Later,
Brad