[dmd-internals] Consistency with MODEL

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed May 11 21:37:10 PDT 2011

On 2011-05-11 21:12, Brad Roberts wrote:
> On 5/11/2011 7:01 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> > On 5/10/2011 7:08 PM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> >> I would point out that both druntime and phobos use 32 and 64 for the
> >> values of MODEL for building their 32-bit and 64-bit versions
> >> respectively, whereas dmd uses -m32 and -m64. Unless there is a good
> >> reason for dmd using -m32 and - m64 instead of 32 and 64, it would
> >> probably be best (for consistency's sake, if nothing else), for dmd to
> >> use 32 and 64 for MODEL like druntime and phobos do.
> >
> > It's a good idea.
>
> It's something I've wanted to do for a while.  I'll cook up the pull
> request, but after the next release.  It'll disrupt the auto testers so
> I'd like to have a chance to prepare them for the change so that the
> period of brokenness can be minimized.

It would certainly be best to do it in a manner that avoids causing major
problems, so I agree that it makes sense to wait, but we definitely should try
and make our makefiles more consistent across the three projects where
appropriate. druntime also needs to have a couple of things changed to match
up with Phobos (at minimum, it should be putting 32-bit and 64-bit builds in
separate directories like Phobos does; and it would also be good with it had
an OS=win32wine build like Phobos does). Overall, what we have works fairly
well, but there are definitely a few places which where we could greater
consistency than we do. In any case, waiting until after the release makes
good sense.

- Jonathan M Davis