[dmd-internals] generating pull requests for DMD

Don Clugston dclugston at googlemail.com
Tue May 31 00:35:47 PDT 2011

On 31 May 2011 03:34, Brad Roberts <braddr at puremagic.com> wrote:
> While I haven't developed d1 in ages, it's roughly how I experimented with it back in the day.  I actually don't
> understand why you hate it so much or where you see complication.  What's "the correct place" mean to you?  It's all a
> matter of the dmd.conf file, which is easy to setup to match any configuration.

No, it isn't. The test suite insists on running ../src/dmd.
The "correct place" to me is the same arrangement as a release. I
don't see any reason for there to be a difference between a snapshot,
a beta, and a release.
In particular, I don't like the test suite having a hard-coded path
which *cannot* be used with an official release.

> Shrug.  I'm a huge fan of test in place _then_ install.

I don't know how you can test properly without "installing"? I test
lots of stuff other than the test suite.

> But do whatever works for you.  I'm not trying to impose
> anything on anyone, just showing how I do it and how easy it is.

Actually, you _are_ imposing. The way you've set up is, as far as I
can tell, the ONLY way it can run.
 Basically I have to do a huge hack to get it to work at all, and it's
just not worth it. The test suite is really badly behaved.

Which is why in practice I use Walter's test suite (copying the files
out of the test directory and then running them is far less painful,
and _much_ quicker).
I suspect that Walter has been doing something similar, as well.
It really seems that so far, NOBODY has been using the test suite, and
I don't think that's an accident. It's really a shame.