[dmd-internals] What is the necessary to increase speed of merging?

Walter Bright walter at digitalmars.com
Fri Nov 11 10:22:26 PST 2011

On 11/11/2011 9:18 AM, kenji hara wrote:
> To Walter
>
> I have posted 130 pulls on github in a year, but about forty ones are
> still opened.

At the moment, I haven't been doing pulling because I'm working on the 64 bit
OSX port. When I get that under control, it's back to pulling.

> I'd like to increase speed of merging, but I don't know the way to realize it.
> What is the necessary?
>
> - D1 patch?
>    Today only Walter improvements D1 branch. Almost dmd pulls only
> consider D2 branch. Should we add D1 patch at the same time?

Merging with D1 hasn't been too difficult; I use a program called "meld" which
makes it a snap.

> - Reviewing?
>    Almost dmd pulls doesn't have been reviewed by other dmd commiters.

Not many are that familiar with the internal design.

> - Conflicting?
>    Almost patches uses runnable/xtest46.d, template9.d, aliasthis.d
> for test suite. This fact has introduced conflicts between the
> patches. I sometimes rebases my many pulls, but the cost of doing it
> is much more.

If you want, you can start a new test.d.

> - Others?
> ???

It usually takes a couple hours to merge a patch, if things go smoothly. Most of
that is running the test suite. Some more time is spent updating the changelog
and bugzilla.

> Please answer this question, Walter. I'd like to improve the bottleneck.

I'd like to compliment you on how prolific, helpful, and correct your patches
have been. Thanks!