[dmd-internals] What is the necessary to increase speed of merging?

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at erdani.com
Fri Nov 11 10:42:30 PST 2011

On 11/11/11 12:22 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> It usually takes a couple hours to merge a patch, if things go
> smoothly. Most of that is running the test suite.

That suggests a simple investment of money in bigger iron could have a
large positive impact on the development pace. This is NOT the time to
be stingy, as being penny wise now means we're negatively impacting D's
future - perhaps irreversibly. Walter, I'm ready to pay 50% of whatever
machine you want to buy. Please contact me for details.

Kenji's post is symptomatic of a problem that I wished we'd have for a
long time, and that I figured a few months ago it's inevitable: the
bottleneck is not lack of contributions anymore, it's process and logistics.

Walter, we should discuss improving these areas ASAP.

>> Please answer this question, Walter. I'd like to improve the
>> bottleneck.
>
> I'd like to compliment you on how prolific, helpful, and correct your
> patches have been. Thanks!

I'd like to join Walter, too, but let me also point out that in addition
to thanking him, we need to *really* answer Kenji's question with a
concerted course of action.

Thanks,

Andrei