[dmd-internals] What is the necessary to increase speed of merging?

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 11 10:50:27 PST 2011

> On 11/11/11 12:22 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> It usually takes a couple hours to merge a patch, if things go
>> smoothly. Most of that is running the test suite.
>
> That suggests a simple investment of money in bigger iron could have a
> large positive impact on the development pace. This is NOT the time to
> be stingy, as being penny wise now means we're negatively impacting D's
> future - perhaps irreversibly. Walter, I'm ready to pay 50% of whatever
> machine you want to buy. Please contact me for details.
>
> Kenji's post is symptomatic of a problem that I wished we'd have for a
> long time, and that I figured a few months ago it's inevitable: the
> bottleneck is not lack of contributions anymore, it's process and logistics.
>
> Walter, we should discuss improving these areas ASAP.
>
>>> Please answer this question, Walter. I'd like to improve the
>>> bottleneck.
>>
>> I'd like to compliment you on how prolific, helpful, and correct your
>> patches have been. Thanks!
>
> I'd like to join Walter, too, but let me also point out that in addition to thanking him, we need to *really* answer
> Kenji's question with a concerted course of action.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

The bigger issue, imho, is Walter's lack of trust in the automated testers.  If they're insufficient, then lets talk
about what it will take to make them sufficient.  They can and will keep way ahead of Walter's individual test runs.
Bigger hardware under his desk (or in a closet or in the basement) is the wrong approach, imho.

We've got Daniel's pull tester here: http://yebblies.com/results/

I'm working on incorporating it in to my system so they're will be more parallelism (multiple boxes) and multiple
platforms (all of them, ideally).

With trust in the tester, that eliminates hours of time from each pull request.