[dmd-internals] What is the necessary to increase speed of merging?

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 11 12:21:45 PST 2011

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> On 11/11/11 1:05 PM, Brad Roberts wrote:
> > Also, if bigger iron is the preferred path, I'll pay all the costs for a
> > c1.xlarge ec2 instance. It's not the fastest box on the market (pre
> > Nehalem), but it's a good price/performance box. 8 cores, with plenty of
> > memory and disk. Using the spot market and assuming an average of 5
> > hours a day of usage, it'd only cost about $30/month. If faster cores
> > are desired, they're available, just cost more. But paid at hourly
> > actual use rates, would still cost less than buying a box that's not
> > used full time.
>
> I think that's a terrific offer that we should take. Thanks, Brad! Also it's
> not about an either-or choice; improvements in both automated testing AND
> efficient testing should pay off handsomely.
>
> Andrei

I agree it's not entirely either-or, but I think breaking Walter's habit
of not trusting the auto-testers to do the validation that he spends hours
on is much more important.

Sorry for talking about you in the third person Walter, but I really do
feel that it's your development process needs to change to speed up the
rate of progress of dmd itself.  Just throwing bigger hardware at it isn't
the best answer.