[dmd-internals] What is the necessary to increase speed of merging?

Daniel Murphy yebblies at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 21:08:27 PST 2011

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 4:18 AM, kenji hara <k.hara.pg at gmail.com> wrote:
> - Conflicting?
>  Almost patches uses runnable/xtest46.d, template9.d, aliasthis.d
> for test suite. This fact has introduced conflicts between the
> patches. I sometimes rebases my many pulls, but the cost of doing it
> is much more.

In most of my patches, I've been inserting the test functions and
function calls in random places in xtest46.d.  Before, I had to rebase
20+ pull requests every time xtest46 was modified, and I've never had
to rebase one for this reason since.  You should probably do the same.

The main reason I made the pull request autotester was to
automatically find trivial merge conflicts for me, turning a
multi-hour scan of the open pull requests into 5 minutes per pull
request for a trivial rebase+edit.

> Walter wrote:
> Another issue is when I do a pull, and it fails testing. This just happened. Things pretty much grind to a halt when that happens. I wish github had an "unpull" button.
> Would such a tester be available for those submitting patches so they can run the autotester *before* an attempt is made to merge?

There already is a tester available for all open pull requests:
http://yebblies.com/results/
Although it's linux32 only, and not particularly fast, pull requests
that fail on there should never be pulled.