[dmd-internals] What is the necessary to increase speed of merging?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Nov 11 21:18:10 PST 2011

On Friday, November 11, 2011 21:15:06 Brad Roberts wrote:
> On 11/11/2011 7:28 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> > On 11/11/2011 11:12 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> >> I think that's a terrific offer that we should take. Thanks, Brad!
> >> Also it's not about an either-or choice; improvements in both
> >> automated testing AND efficient testing should pay off handsomely.>
> > Would such a tester be available for those submitting patches so they
> > can run the autotester *before* an attempt is made to merge?
>
> They already are!  The auto-tester does nothing beyond running the dmd,
> druntime, and phobos unit tests.

No, the autotester does not run them _before_ a merge is done. It runs them
_after_. So, it's quite good at telling you whether the code in master
repositories for dmd, druntime, and Phobos is currently broken, but it doesn't
tell you whether the code in _pull requests_ is broken, which appears to be
what Walter is looking for. Daniel Murphy's autotester does that, but not the
primary one - not unless you've changed something that I don't know about.

- Jonathan M Davis