[dmd-internals] Need help tracking down a machine-dependent heisenbug

Don Clugston dclugston at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 16 00:42:15 PST 2011

My CTFE developement is currently blocked by a problem I cannot reproduce.

On DMD, checkout commit feaf4911ec (pull request #506)
Build DMD.
Compile Phobos unittests.
Does the compiler segfault while compiling?

On my machine (Win7, dual core) it compiles OK.
On the autotester it also seems to have been OK.
But on Walter's Windows machine, and on his Linux machine, it segfaults.
(on Windows, it's when doing dmd -O -nofloat -w -d -L/co -c -unittest
-ofunittest12.obj std\array.d std\functional.d std\range
.d std\path.d std\outbuffer.d std\utf.d)

>From the log output, it is clear that the execution order is different
on these two cases. Something is different, and I don't have any idea
what it could be.
So I need more data. I'd like to know if other people can reproduce
the segfault.