[dmd-internals] dmd test suite

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Sat Nov 19 08:13:51 PST 2011

Hi,

I've been running the dmd test suite rather often lately, so I want to
share some observations:

- most of the tests are using assert() for run-time tests, but these
don't get compiled into the code when -release is passed on the command
line. Considering -release being part of the permutated options, doesn't
this make half of the runs very unlikely to fail? A workaround would be
to always add -unittest, which causes dmd to keep asserts in release builds.

- the quick tests could cover more of dmds' code if optimizations are
run and debug information is generated. I suggest adding options "-O
-inline -g" to the quick test run for runnable and compilable tests.
This increases build time a bit (4 minutes instead of 3 minutes on my
system), but it also shows errors in tests test49, testaa, fail39, fail4
and xtestenum.

Rainer