[dmd-internals] Git question: How do I push a *single* branch?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Nov 21 01:12:21 PST 2011

On Monday, November 21, 2011 10:01:30 Don Clugston wrote:
> In my local repository I have two branches, branch1 and branch2.
> I publish branch1 to github:
> git push origin : branch1
> A side-effect of this, is that it automatically makes branch1 a remote
> tracking branch.
>
> Now, I add an extra commit to branch1, but I don't want to push it yet.
> But I do want to push branch2.
> So I type:  git push origin : branch2
> This creates branch2, BUT it also pushes branch1 as well!
> How do I stop this?
>
>  I can't see anything in the manual for git push that explains this.
> How can I push branch2 *only* ?

I would do

git-push origin branch1

That only pushes branch1 regardless of what's going on in other branches. It
creates the branch in origin if it doesn't exist there and updates it
otherwise. You then _remove_ a branch in origin by doing

git-push origin :branch1

So, I'm surprised that

git-push origin : branch1

isn't deleting branch1 in origin. I guess that the space makes all the
difference. I'd have to go digging throught Pro Git and the like to know what

git-push origin : branch1

is really doing.

- Jonathan M Davis