[dmd-internals] What is the necessary to increase speed of merging?

Don Clugston dclugston at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 21 14:07:08 PST 2011

On 13 November 2011 11:39, Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 11/12/2011 6:23 AM, Jason House wrote:
>>
>> I've been wondering if it would be a good idea to set up a workflow where
>> Walter does more than one pull request at a time. After testing all
>> individual pulls, the auto tester could try testing all (passing) pulls from
>> a single author all applied on top of each other. If that larger test
>> passes, then maybe it could save several steps for Walter by handling
>> multiple pull requests at once?
>
> I've avoided multiple pulls at once, because when they fail it's just
> miserable.

I just found this diagram. I think it's very helpful model. Google are
obviously pretty good at this stuff.

http://source.android.com/source/life-of-a-patch.html

Looking at that diagram, the only thing Walter _needs_ to be doing is
the Approval 'code looks good' step.
Yet the "Verifier" role is the one which is taking up all the time,
even though it can potentially be almost 100% automated.

Wouldn't it be great if Walter just needed to give a list of pull
requests which "look good" to the autotester, and then have them
automatically pulled and tested. If it passes, merge into trunk. If
not, report failure. Then move to the next one of the list.