[dmd-internals] Time for new release?

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Sun Oct 2 21:35:22 PDT 2011

On 10/2/2011 9:10 PM, David Simcha wrote:
> I noticed that some pretty important bugs (specifically the ones w.r.t. inout) recently got fixed.  This is a major step
> forward since it allows containers to be written that work properly with const.  Is it time to start thinking about
> another release soon?

Considerable (but apparently incomplete) work has gone into fixing the tangle of bugs surrounding const and ref:

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/114
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/115

Issue 4251
Issue 5493
Issue 6670 (should this just be closed as a dup of 5493?)

Daniel, you'd been working on it.. on your list of things to finish soon or did you back burner it due to the problems
talked about at the end of the comments of pull 115?

---

Additionally, the gc that went in to the win32 build needs to either be disabled or better tuned.  The performance
regression it introduces is pretty awful.  If it's going to go in, it really ought to go into all platforms, not just win32.

--

Lastly, there's a bunch of open regressions that are new since the last release.  It'd be nice to get all of those fixed
before a release too.  We're back up to 52 regressions+blockers after getting to a low of 48.

My 2 cents,
Brad