[dmd-internals] Time for new release?

Daniel Murphy yebblies at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 07:50:20 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Brad Roberts <braddr at puremagic.com> wrote:

> Considerable (but apparently incomplete) work has gone into fixing the tangle of bugs surrounding const and ref:
>
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/114
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/115
>
> Issue 4251
> Issue 5493
> Issue 6670 (should this just be closed as a dup of 5493?)
>
> Daniel, you'd been working on it.. on your list of things to finish soon or did you back burner it due to the problems
> talked about at the end of the comments of pull 115?

4251: The patch I made was wrong, and I now think it's the wrong
approach.  I have hopes fixing that will fix the implicit conversion
issues found in the const(Object)ref patch, but will likely require
non-trivial changes to the template deduction and implicit conversion
code.  So, not until the release after next at the earliest.

5493: Same issues as 4251, but can be mostly fixed by pull 114 or
similar.  It might be worth reopening 114 just to clear up the most
common cases.

6670 is _not_ a dupe of 5493, although the original report seems to be
a dupe of 6669.  There are at least two new bugs in that report,
invalid optimizing of a variable to its initializer and some incorrect
type casting when shared is involved.

Essentially, no complete patches or solutions, and probably no time
for the next few weeks.