[dmd-internals] Status of dmd pull requests

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Sep 4 02:05:31 PDT 2011

On Sunday, September 04, 2011 17:39:10 Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Sunday, September 04, 2011 17:19:18 Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > On Sunday, September 04, 2011 17:05:20 Daniel Murphy wrote:
> > > Sydney (+10 ?)
> > > ~$ cat /etc/timezone
> > > Australia/NSW
> >
> > *Sigh* It looks like something is messed up with std.datetime dealing
> > with that timezone. It looks like I get to go bug hunting...
>
> LOL. Ouch. _That_ was dumb of me. I was trying to get the order of several
> time zones (including local time) in the tests, and somehow I managed to
> forget that diffing times ignores time zones (as it should). So, I
> subtracted the current time in UTC from the current time in local time
> (which inevitably is a matter of microseconds, because it's just the
> difference between two calls to Clock.currTime). The result is inevitably
> positive. West of UTC (as I and the autotester are) needs the result to be
> positive to order the time zones correctly, whereas east of UTC (as you
> are) needs the result to be negative - but it's positive. So, the time
> zones are in the wrong order for you, and the results are wrong. _This_ is
> why I like it when unit tests are dead stupid rather than trying to be
> clever and concise. It's so easy to screw them up when you try and be
> clever and concise. But no one likes the large number of dead stupid unit
> tests in std.datetime, so I've been trying to make them clever and concise.
> Bleh.
>
> Oh well. At least I know what the problem is now. It shouldn't take very
> long to fix it.

Blast it. It's worse than that. Your DST changes on April 1st, and apparently
my tests can't cope with that at the moment. I'll have to rework them a bit,
and it's going to take some time. I should have them fixed within a day or so,
but I'm not going to get them sorted out tonight.

- Jonathan M Davis