[dmd-internals] Fixing forward ref bugs for good

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Wed Sep 14 23:29:30 PDT 2011

On 15.09.2011 05:58, Benjamin Shropshire wrote:
> On 09/14/2011 12:06 AM, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>>
>> On 14.09.2011 00:04, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> Don, just so you know, I've been thinking for a while about
>>> transitioning from doing the semantic pass in order to doing it
>>> completely "on demand". In other words, try to semantic a
>>> declaration. In the process, any declarations it depends on are
>>> semantic'd if not already, recursively.
>>
>> I've been trying something similar for Visual D in its yet to
>> integrate semantic analysis for intellisense. Still, static if and
>> mixins get in the way of complete "on demand" handling. When a symbol
>> is searched in a scope (e.g. a module, class, struct), some
>> preparational work has to be done before the member list can be
>> searched:
>>
>> 1. all "simple" non-scoping members are expanded (version/debug
>> conditions, attributed declaration blocks). the branch inserted to
>> the scopes' member list is also searched for "simple" non-scoping
>> members (this step could also be done non-lazily, but doing it lazily
>> slightly changes the interaction of version statements and
>> conditionals with "static if" conditionals - good or bad, I don't know)
>>
>> 2. "complex" non-scoping members are expanded in lexical order
>> (static if, mixins). When inserting the expanded branch into the
>> scopes member list, the expansion restarts at 1.
>>
>> This works out better than the current dmd implementation, e.g. when
>> forward referencing symbols in a mixin. There are still situations
>> that depend on interpretation order, but that is to be expected when
>> "static if" is used.
>>

> Every time I've puzzled over the problem, the solution I've gravitated
> to is to have the symbol table logic result be tri-state:
> symbol-found, no-symbol, unknown/incomplete (for when a lookup
> includes an unprocessed scope). From there, you greedily evaluate all
> symbol that you can and proceed with whatever processing can be done,
> bailing when an "incomplete" results is found and keeping a list of
> where to come back and try again later. The only question then is how
> to handle the case where you dead lock. I suspect that if you make
> that illegal, a lot of legacy code will break. I'm going to guess we
> will want to have a small set of well thought out deadlock escape rules.

I guess, Walter also wants to get rid of the "try again later" part.
Especially is-expressions and trait(compiles) are getting rather
indeterministic and might depend on other symbols being looked up
before. If the evaluation is lazy, there is some hope that dependencies
will be cyclic only in cases that are actual errors. I'm not sure about
a good cycle-detection, though. (Is that what you meant by "deadlock
escape"?)

What happens, if the evaluation of "static if" turns out to require
symbols from the same scope? (Something I did not mention above:
unconditionally existing or expanded members of a scope should be added
to the symbol lookup as soon as possible.) My current suggestion is: do
not recurse into the expansion of "complex" members, just use the
currently available symbols.