[dmd-internals] New committers for druntime, phobos, dpl.org, and tools repos

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Dec 6 20:54:16 PST 2012

On Friday, December 07, 2012 05:35:01 Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 9:06 PM, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>
wrote:
> > On Thursday, December 06, 2012 10:16:59 Sean Kelly wrote:
> >> The same message being sent to multiple lists interacted a bit
> >> weirdly with my mail routing rules.
> >
> > Yeah. I always have problems when people cross-post. It's not the end of
> > the world, but I'd prefer that separate posts were sent rather than
> > sending them to all of the lists at the same time.
> >
> > - Jonathan m Davis
>
> It would be a pretty big pain in the ass to collect votes if I had to
> watch 3 different email threads (I already get some 200 emails per
> day). :)
>
> What kind of problems are you having, though? Always works OK for me.

The filters get screwed up by them so they never get triaged properly, and
there's no way to fix that, because all 3 of the messages are the same. So,
instead of going into the dmd-internals, druntime, and Phobos folders like
they should, they all end up in my inbox. If they were sent to each list
individually (even if the body of the messages were identical), then that
wouldn't be a problem - the "To" fields just need to not contain multiple lists
in them. But obviously that isn't the case with cross-posting.

Like I said, it's not the end of the world, but it is annoying.

And actually, I'm inclined to think that most posts like this should just go
to the Phobos list rather than being cross-posted, because the conversations
end up in up to 3 separate lists this way, and I would think that all of the
devs with commit access would be subscribed to the Phobos list. If a post is
specifically for internals or druntime, then posting there makes sense, but I
don't know that it helps us any to post the same thing to 3 different lists.

Again, it's not the end of the world, but it is somewhat problematic.

- Jonathan M Davis