[dmd-internals] Planning software?

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Wed Jan 18 09:25:04 PST 2012

Andrei Alexandrescu, el 18 de enero a las 10:35 me escribiste:
> >>Well the process is stalled for now. Walter didn't get trello.com to
> >>work on XP/IE8 and considers that a showstopper.
> >
> >ENOPARSE
>
> I meant the answer would be superfluous now that the entire process
> has been stalled.

I still don't understand how Walter problems with trello.com has
anything to do with anything, or about what "process" are you talking
about, but never mind, I guess is not really important anyway.

> >Why you can't do that using bugzilla was the question, in case you want
> >to answer it eventually :)
>
> It's simple - planning software has means to rank and track large
> tasks of coarse granularity. Bugzilla offers as far as I can tell
> ranking by eight predefined severities ("enhancement" through
> "regression") but no simple way to say "let me put this task ahead
> the other".  There's no way to establish milestones and track
> progress for a task. There's no way to show "top-level" tasks of
> which many other smaller tasks depend - all you get is a flat view
> of thousands of issues.
>
> I'm sure we could devise workarounds, but at best we should use for
> collaborative planning something that is geared for collaborative
> planning.

OK, so you could do all you need with bugzilla, but you want a better
tool for that purpose, instead of stretching bugzilla's limits. Sounds
reasonable, but I think you should have in mind that both tools will
have a lot in common, and it will be hard to figure out what's a bug and
belongs to bugzilla, and what's a task and belongs to the planning tool.
I fear this will divide the community, and make both tools redundant,
having duplicates among the tools.