[dmd-internals] Planning software?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Jan 18 13:36:36 PST 2012

On Wednesday, January 18, 2012 12:26:12 Walter Bright wrote:

> Trello is the first web site I've encountered that won't work with IE8.
> Undoubtedly there will be more in the future, but I don't think our mission
> is to be in the vanguard of evangelizing people to change operating systems
> or switch browsers.

Of course not, though if Trello was really what we wanted and the only concern
was that it didn't work with IE8, I'm not sure that that should really be a
deal-breaker. But it's not like we've decided that we really want to use
Trello. It's just one of the options.

> I had a minor issue with github on IE8, reported it, and the github dev team
> had it fixed within a day. Github is targeted at computer savvy developers.
> I often send around and post links to github pages (and I think doing so is
> crucial to D), with nary a concern that my target audience will not be able
> to view the pages.

Of course. You shouldn't have to worry about whether a particular page works
in a particular browser. But fortunately, there are so many browsers these
days (most of the being quite solid) that in the rare case that a particular
page doesn't work with a particular browser, it's quite easy to try it with
another. The browser situation is vastly better now than it was 10 years ago.

- Jonathan M Davis