[dmd-internals] Oldest five bugs

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Wed Jan 18 15:20:41 PST 2012

David Simcha, el 18 de enero a las 17:53 me escribiste:
> Lastly, design issues tend to require intimate familiarity with use cases.
> I would have no problem implementing a container library (it's just basic
> data structures) but I don't feel qualified to do the high-level design
> here because I don't understand all the use cases that make it a
> non-trivial problem.  Probably very few people have diverse enough
> experience to have a deep understanding of the tradeoffs involved.

You can also try to take the design from other language/library which
was really tested in real life instead of making up your own.

Also, software evolves, you don't have to design something as it would
be the best and ultimate design ever for all possible use cases. That's
just not possible. With a library is also "easy" to change stuff by
keeping the old interface deprecated for some time after you made a new
one that fixes the problems you found in the old one. You don't have to
break old code to keep evolving.

You might want to consider another tradeoff: having something working
even when it's not the best ever vs. not having anything at all :)

Just my 2¢ :)