[dmd-internals] Planning software?

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Wed Jan 18 15:44:02 PST 2012

Brad Roberts, el 18 de enero a las 14:59 me escribiste:
> On 1/18/2012 2:48 PM, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> > Andrei Alexandrescu, el 18 de enero a las 13:14 me escribiste:

> >> We have in-house task management software at Facebook that is
> >> separate from (and virtually not integrated with) the issue tracking
> >> software. We use it to great effect, and based on that experience I
> >> can tell it would be beneficial (I'd actually say "basic survival")
> >> to use something similar for D.
> >>
> >> Leandro, your thoughts and ideas are always welcome, but they seem
> >> to come straight from the viewpoint that we're good as we are. As a
> >> participant to this project, I can tell we're not. Me must get
> >> organized in 2012 as an essential matter.
> >
> > No Andrei, you're wrong, take probably the biggest opensource project
> > ever, Linux, as an example and realize that that's not **necessary** (if
> > you think Linux is a completely different piece of software, take Python
> > as an example). I've been always *pushing* ways to be more organized in
> > the development of D, so I completely agree about the goal, I just feel
> > like you might not be moving in the right direction.
> >
> > Anyway, I will just shut up because I have no idea about what is Trello
> > about and have no information whatsoever about do you plan to use it (is
> > there any place where I can find this discussion?). If bugzilla will
> > **really** stay the same (I wish it would get much better though, maybe
> > that's why you feel like you need another tool), I will not complain
> > anymore (same if it get *replaced* by a better alternative for that
> > matter).
> >

> No, he's not wrong.  There's little value in taking the term
> 'necessary' to the extreme end of the scale.  That there are examples
> of projects/products that can survived with little if any organization
> and planning (and I posit that you're wrong about linux itself.. it
> has a LOT of structure within the organizations that contribute the
> most man power (redhat, being a great example)) is irrelevant.

I was talking about introducing another tool. As I said, I'm all in for
better organization. I just don't think that adding more tools to the
mix will fix anything, because as you said, they are mostly social
issues. I even think that adding more tools can *harm* organization, as
you might not know where to report or look for stuff.

Where I think Andrei is wrong is in his reasoning about "if we don't get
a new tool, we can't organize".