[dmd-internals] Planning software?

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 18 17:33:10 PST 2012

> On 1/18/12 7:04 PM, Brad Roberts wrote:
>> On 1/18/2012 4:59 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> That's a nice way or saying it doesn't.
>>>
>>> Andrei
>>
>> Not in the least.  It means it doesn't have a calendar associated
>> with milestones.  But you could create a milestone named "dmd 2.999
>> Feb 15" and assign whatever set of bugs you want to it.
>
> So it _doesn't_.
>
>> I wouldn't name the releases like that, but instead have a separate
>> roadmap that talks about milestones and stages for them.  But every
>> other bit of the feature set you asked for is 100% there.

<slightly edited to make responding easier>

> 1) Where is the progress on individual issues?

search > select milestone, chose to include various states.

within each bug report, assign bug.  It might be worth adding a status for Work In Progress, which would take maybe 30
whole seconds to add.

> 2) Where is an overview of the issues that are being worked on?

report > tabular report > select milestone, place whatever field you're interested on the dimensions of the chart

> 3) How easy is it to shuffle priorities around

As easy as it is to pull up a bug and change the priority, severity, or milestone pull downs.. ie, trivial.

> 4) or tack a task onto another release?

See #3.. just pull up the bug(s) and set their milestone.

> 5) Where are checklists that organize complex task?

Ok, so it doesn't have check lists, but it DOES have depends-on bug relationships, so create sub-bugs and relate them.

> I'll tell you where they are. In the attached image.

No one ever claimed that other tools didn't have that capability, just that the tools we already use are more capable
than we're taking advantage of.