[dmd-internals] Planning software?

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Thu Jan 19 09:47:08 PST 2012

Andrei Alexandrescu, el 19 de enero a las 08:14 me escribiste:
> >No, I'm just telling you about counter-examples. That's all I need to
> >refute your reasoning :) (about the **need** for a new tool to get
> >better organization, again, I do agree that we need better organization
> >to grow, I don't agree about the means to get the better organization).
>
> Well what means do you propose? You did little more in this
> discussion than contradicting things I said.

Taking more advantage of the tools we have now, like bugzilla. As Brad
said there are plenty of features we are not using which can greatly
improve the organization. We also have the mailing lists and github
already. I think making the information more sparse will not contribute
to organization.

Yo need a roadmap, use bugzilla's milestones. You need priorities, use
bugzilla priorities. You need a big task that is composed by some other
smaller tasks, use bugzilla's bug dependencies. The tools are there, and
we can keep all the information together, making easier to do complex
searches including both tasks and bugs.

> What steps can we take to get better at organizing D's development?

See above. I really do think we are very close in our positions. I think
the steps to be more organized we think we should take are pretty
similar. The big difference seems to be that you think that our current
tools are not enough and adding a new one will be a good thing and
I don't. Not only that, I fear it could make things even worse.

Also we need to improve the social skills, I also think that having more
feedback is critical (hello Walter). Doesn't matter much where, we
already have this and other lists, bugzilla and github. There is plenty
of infrastructure to have good communications, I don't see how adding
more structure would improve this.

But anyway, I think I exhausted all my arguments, so unless there is
something extremely important to say, I'll just shut up (I liked this
list better when there were no flamewars :)

Se va a licitar un sistema de vuelos espaciales mendiante el cual, desde una
plataforma que quizás se instale en la provincia de Córdoba, esas naves
espaciales van a salir de la atmósfera, se van a remontar a la estratósfera
y desde ahí elegir el lugar donde quieran ir, de tal forma que en una hora
y media podamos desde Argentina estar en Japón, en Corea o en cualquier parte
del mundo.
	-- Carlos Saúl Menem (sic)