[dmd-internals] Planning software?

David Simcha dsimcha at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 13:01:30 PST 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Don Clugston <dclugston at googlemail.com>wrote:

> And stage 3 is a bit random. We apparently have a few projects which
> must be tested (dsimcha's, for example)
> but I think most things that are tested are open source, and could
> therefore be automated.

Maybe SciD and Dstats should be used for automated testing of DMD.  While
neither was written to be a compiler test suite, they empirically are
ridiculously good at finding compiler bugs, probably because of the coding
style which heavily uses the newest/most advanced features of D.  Both are
open source and on Github.  Dstats has good unittest coverage and SciD's
has improved lately, too.  We might also consider other projects like these
(open source, good unittest coverage, empirically seems to frequently
expose compiler bugs) to add to the automated testing system.  Does anyone
want to suggest one?

In principle anyone could do the testing I do.  I just do it because I'm
familiar with the relevant codebases and it would be very hard to break
these libs into discrete test cases to add to the real DMD test suite as
opposed to testing them as-is.