[dmd-internals] [D-Programming-Language/dmd] dbd904: durn, forgot elfobj

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Sat Jul 14 09:07:47 PDT 2012

Don Clugston, el 13 de July a las 10:33 me escribiste:
> On 12 July 2012 21:01, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday, July 12, 2012 11:51:44 GitHub wrote:
> >> durn, forgot elfobj
> >
> > I don't know exactly what your process is in terms of how you manage adding
> > files and how you use git and whatnot, but if you run
> >
> > git status
> >
> > it will tell you which files have been changed and which have not been added.
> > So, unless you routinely have files sitting in your local repository which
> > aren't supposed to be added (and which don't make sense to put in .gitignore
> > for whatever reason),
>
> Well I have that situation 100% of the time, and I bet Walter does too.
> Working on the compiler is currently impossible without modifying the
> makefile, largely thanks to some pedant who insisted that 'make'
> should make a release build.

You can always separate configuration stuff in another makefile. I used
that trick before and it works pretty well. Just add something like:

-include config.mak

just after any variable you want to override in the main makefile(s)
(the "-" is important, makes the inclusion optional so make doesn't fail
if the file is not present). Then add config.mak to .gitignore and
anyone can create this config.mak to override options.

For example:
Makefile:
SOME_VAR := x
-include config.mak
x:
	make_x $SOME_VAR

make x will produce make_x x. If you create a config.mak with:
SOME_VAR := y
make x will produce make_x y