[dmd-internals] Compiling DMD on Lion with the Xcode 4.3 SDK

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Sun Mar 18 09:35:27 PDT 2012

On 18 Mar 2012, at 16:56, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> In Xcode 4.3 Apple has replaced the Xcode installer with a regular
> application to be compatible with app store. This has caused them to
> move the SDK from /Developer/SDKs/ to
> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/
>
> How can this be handled in the DMD makefile?

One additional thing to consider is that users can also have an older
Xcode version on Lion, which would break just switching paths on $(uname
-r).

Unfortunately, $(xcode-select -print-path) seems to return nothing if
the user didn't explicitly specify an instance to use at some point
before – otherwise, this would be a nice solution.

I guess the only feasible (or at least the easiest) solution would be to
just detect the presence of the respective directories and set the SDK
paths accordingly. Or build with the defaults, but that's maybe not an
option for packaging releases.

David