[dmd-internals] regressions, criticals, and blockers

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Tue May 1 03:19:19 PDT 2012

Jonathan M Davis, el 27 de abril a las 21:45 me escribiste:
> > There's at least two definitions for blocker here:
> >
> >  1) should block the release
> >  2) blocks the submitters project -- ie, no work around known
> >
> > Bug submitters are almost certainly treating the severity as the latter.
>
> True, but that's a pretty useless definition for blocker, since it says nothing
> about the severity of the bug as far as the community at large is concerned.
> It just means that it's causing major problems for the person reporting it.
> The actual  bug could be quite minor.

I also tend to assume meaning 2). For me the key is who is assigning the
severity. If the user assigns the severity, then it's more than
reasonable to do so from his point of view (is blocking ME). As I said
before, I think the PRIORITY should be used to prioritize bugs from the
DMD developers POV. The names of the priorities are awful, that's not
helping either.

To avoid repeating myself, I will just point to an old message :)
http://forum.dlang.org/post/20120119110019.GJ32678@llucax.com.ar