[dmd-internals] [dmd-beta] Time for new beta

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Mon May 28 23:38:59 PDT 2012

On May 29, 2012, at 02:34 AM, Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 5/28/2012 1:07 PM, Brad Roberts wrote:
> > There's an analogy that we like to use at work, and in my experience it holds pretty well for code quality and bleeds
> > pretty well into the entire development process:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory
> >
> > We do an ok job when it comes to the tests (though certainly not perfect). We've been getting a lot better at
> > addressing regressions, though there's still 4 open right now (1 phobos, 2 druntime, 1 dmd). Can we please make the
> > remaining open regressions a release blocker?
>
> My idea is more along the lines of at least having it not be *worse* than the
> previous release. That would be one regression at this point, which has an
> outstanding pull request.

I don't think that's good enough. If a regression is introduced in a release we need to do better than the previous release. Otherwise the number of regression may not have been reduced.

> >What's stopping us from handling all pull requests w/in a week? Or even better a day or two?
>

> Currently I'm working on the 64 bit struct ABI, which is marked as a critical
> blocker (a sentiment I agree with).

Sure it's great that you're working on this issue but I don't think there's that many that actally are depending on being able to generate 64bit code.

* Windows - can't generate 64bit code - not an issue.
* Mac OS X - one can seamlessly compile both 32 and 64bit code. All system libraries ship at least in 32 and 64bit x86 code - not an issue.
* Linux - Can usually not compile for other architectures. Needs to install 32bit compatible libraries - in most of the cases a minor inconvenience.
* FreeBSD - Don't know, but I'm assuming it's similar to how it's on Linux

--
/Jacob Carlborg