[dmd-internals] [D-Programming-Language/dmd] 10640a: dang, forgot that one, too

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 05:29:04 PST 2012

On Nov 7, 2012, at 8:03 AM, David Nadlinger <code at klickverbot.at> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:
>> Yes, that's basically what git shell/bash (whatever it's called) is. When
>> installing git for Windows it will install a git shell as well. That shell
>> is basically cygwin.
>
> No, the shell is not Cygwin, it's just a MinGW/MSYS build of bash.
> There is a big difference: Cygwin is a big pile of a mess, as it tries
> to emulate all of POSIX, and many people try to avoid it for this
> extra complexity. MinGW binaries, on the other hand, tend to blend in
> fairly well with the rest of Windows.
>
> David

Cygwin is package based and lets me put all my favorite linux utilities on Windows. I've found it to be far more convenient to grab everything through cygwin than trying to cobble together everything with 3rd party ports.

Cygwin might not be for everyone, but it might give the more integrated feel that Walter is looking for.