[dmd-internals] Memory Leak

Walter Bright walter at digitalmars.com
Sun Nov 11 12:47:23 PST 2012

On 11/10/2012 11:26 PM, David Held wrote:
> While writing some unit tests for Dsymbol, I noticed that
> Dsymbol::toPrettyChars() leaks almost everywhere.

It actually isn't a bug.

dmd does not bother to keep track of memory for the purpose of freeing it. It
behaves as if there's a garbage collector.

There is a garbage collector for dmd, but it is left out of the build because it
slows the compiler down more than it helps.

Excessive memory consumption has turned out to be a problem for the CTFE
implementation, however.