[dmd-internals] Memory Leak

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Nov 11 20:15:04 PST 2012

On Sunday, November 11, 2012 19:54:30 Walter Bright wrote:
> On 11/11/2012 6:51 PM, Jason House wrote:
> > If such a thing existed, is it possible to incrementally convert pieces of
> > the compiler to D?
>
> That would leave the specter of having two headers for the data types, one
> in D and one in C++.

I would think that best approach would be to write the lexer and parser
modules for Phobos that we want done (which likely won't be ports of dmd per
se, because of ranges and whatnot). Each piece of the compiler can then be
created in D and added to Phobos incrementally (without touching dmd at all)
until we have a full frontend in D. We can then look at whether we want to use
it in dmd or gdc or ldc or whatever (or we could just outright build a new
compiler from it).

I'd have finished the lexer by now, but I got extremely busy at work and had to
put it on hold. I should be able to get back to it next month though, at which
point I should be able to make progress fairly quickly, since I was making
good progress before I had to stop.

- Jonathan M Davis