[dmd-internals] Memory Leak

Don Clugston dclugston at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 01:03:14 PST 2012

On 14 November 2012 09:49, Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 11/14/2012 12:38 AM, David Held wrote:
>>
>> My understanding of GC is that mark/sweep is better if the number of
>> surviving objects is large relative to the total pool, and copying is better
>> if the number is small.  Does dmd tend to create mostly short-lived or
>> long-lived objects?
>

> I don't really know.

At least, the ones created by const-folding are short-lived, and there
is rather a lot of them. This is extreme for CTFE, which is why CTFE
leaks so much memory.
Though actually I want to stop CTFE from creating mountains of garbage
in the first place.
I don't know how much of the total garbage is from const folding though.