[dmd-internals] GitHub commit status API

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 6 00:31:15 PDT 2012

On 9/6/2012 12:26 AM, Don Clugston wrote:
> On 4 September 2012 19:43, Brad Roberts <braddr at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> Hrm.. there's one important difference between the way this api is designed and the way the auto-tester tests the pull
>> requests.  The api tags a specific sha, which would be the tip of the pull requests revision history.  That's fine if
>> the merge to master is purely a fast-forward merge (ie, the pull request is based on the tip of the master tree and is
>> purely additive).  However, if the pull request is NOT based off the tip of the tree, then a merge is involved and the
>> auto-tester is testing the result of that merge, NOT the pull request pre-merge.
>>
>> I can go ahead and apply the status to the pull requests tip sha, but it'll be a little misleading in that it's entirely
>> possible that the pull request builds w/o a merge to master but doesn't with.  Likely to be a fairly rare occurrence,
>> but worth noting.
>
> It's not rare at all, I've seen it very many times.

Sorry, I was excluding the case where it's not mergable.  There's a lot of cases where it builds w/in just the pull
request, but isn't mergeable due to conflicting changes.  I think that case is fine to report failure for, since it
requires attention before the pull request is useful.  Are you aware of a significant number that _do_ merge but then
fail to build/test post-merge but succeed w/o a merge?