[dmd-internals] Shift support for vector types (or: is vector type a first class type?)

Kai Nacke kai at redstar.de
Tue Apr 2 22:58:07 PDT 2013

On 02.04.2013 08:57, Walter Bright wrote:

> On 4/1/2013 10:13 PM, Kai Nacke wrote:

>>> The idea is if a vector operation is not supported by the underlying
>>> hardware, then dmd won't allow it. It specifically does not generate
>>> "workaround" code like gcc does. The reason for this is the
>>> workaround code is terribly, terribly slow (because moving code
>>> between the ALU and the SIMD unit is awful), and having the compiler
>>> silently insert it leaves the programmer mystified why he is getting
>>> execrable performance.
>>
>> Shifting a vector left by a single scalar e.g. v << 2 is then a
>> missing operation. It is supported by the PSLLW/D/Q instruction. Same
>> for shifting right. This is good news for my implementation.
>
> You can file a bugzilla for that one.

Done. It's bugzilla 9860

>>> The vector design philosophy in D is if you write SIMD code, and it
>>> compiles, you can be confident it will execute in the SIMD unit of
>>> your particular target processor. You won't have to dump the
>>> assembler output to be sure.
>>
>> Would it be legal for a D compiler to generate "workaround" code?
>
> No.
>
>> Otherwise the language changes depending on the target.
>
> That's correct.
>
>> Consider again the left shift: on an Intel CPU only v << n (v:
>> vector; n: scalar) is valid. In contrast, Altivec allows v << w (v,
>> w: vector). Then the same source may or may not compile depending on
>> the target (with an error message saying 'incompatible types'). As a
>> user of a cross compiler I would be very surprised by this behavior.
>
> The bigger surprise would be the silent and unpredictable execrably
> bad performance. The only reason to write SIMD code is for
> performance, and the compiler ought to give an error when it cannot
> deliver SIMD performance.
>
> The workaround code can be 100x slower. This is a big deal.

While I understand your argumentation I still feel a bit uncomfortable
with it. It creates a situation in which you can't tell me if a D
program will compile by reading the source if I dont' tell you the
target architecture. I think this is something really new.
The current situation is that conditional compiling is used if
interfaces etc. are not globally available.  This principle is now
broken by the "invisible" rules which determines the availability of
vector operations.

My approach would be to define the following: if D_SIMD is defined then
only the optimal vector operations are available. This ensures your goal
of generating code with optimal performance. If D_SIMD is not defined
but a vendor specific SIMD implementation is available then the rules of
this implementation hold (which may include generation of "workaround"
code). This has the advantage of being explicit:

     version(D_SIMD)
     {
         uint4 w = ...;
         uint4 v = w << 1;
     }
     else version(XYZ_SIMD)
     {
         uint4 w = ..., x = ...;
         // Not allowed by DMD . only fast on altivec
         uint4 v = x << w;
     }

Or do I miss something?

>> I really have Linux/PPC64 in mind but do most development on Windows...
>> (It feels a bit like ++ is only supported if the underlying hardware
>> has an INC instruction...)
>
> That's a different issue, since the workaround code is just as fast.

2nd try: core.bitop.popcnt is a "workaround" for a missing popcnt
instruction. LDC provides an intrinsic for popcnt but this is lowered to
the "workaround" code if the popcnt instruction is not available. If we
apply the same rules then this is verboten.

Regards
Kai