[dmd-internals] dmd-devel version number

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Wed Feb 6 09:46:50 PST 2013

I would really like to have a version number for development snapshots
of DMD like: 2.060-devel-HASH, where HASH is the hash of the HEAD commit
used to compile the compiler.

The VERSION file should hold the string 2.060-devel and the hash will be
automatically appended. An optional symbol will be used (like +) to
indicate a dirty working tree (a working tree with uncommitted changes).
The extra hash will only be appended if the version string ends with
-devel, so when releasing it should be enough to remove the -devel
suffix from the version file to make all the devel information go away.

I notice some work was done (and undone) about the version number
lately. So before issuing a pull request I want to ask two questions:

1. Would such a pull request be accepted?
2. I don't have a test environment for win32, and I don't know if it's
   even possible to execute a command there and get its output, do you
   know if that's possible? And if not, or is very complex, would it be
   acceptable to have this full devel version with a hash reported in
   POSIX but not in win32? Remember this is only for devel releases
   (which I hope includes beta releases, and potentially nightly build,
   if those even happen).

Thank you.