[dmd-internals] dmd-devel version number

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Wed Feb 6 15:12:44 PST 2013

Walter Bright, el  6 de February a las 10:42 me escribiste:
> >Thank you.
>
> I want to use VERSION for much more than just generating a .h file,
> and having more information in there would mess that up.
>
> What use do you intend for this change?

All comes down to reliably determining the version of any dmd
executable.

My particular need to need that information is because we sometimes end
up using different internal versions because we need some bug fixed
before an official release and currently is impossible.

For the community I think this will be good for bug reports of
non-releases. Personally I also find myself using some binary while
developing and don't remember which exact version that binary was
compiled from.

Is a very common thing in big opensource projects too, and it will be
specially useful for people reporting bugs for some unreleased version,
either for betas or, as I said, if at some point in the future we ship
nightly snapshots.

Finally, I find particularly irritating that the version is not
dependable. If you have a compiler with version X, then that compiler
could be produced from any moment in the history of the source between
X and X-1. Part of the job of the SCM is to keep track of the revisions
of a program, and currently we are not taking advantage from that
information.

May I ask what other uses do you have in mind for VERSION? Do you think
they could not benefit too from having a more accurate version (or even
that it will have a negative impact)?