[dmd-internals] dmd-devel version number

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Fri Feb 8 02:19:52 PST 2013

Leandro Lucarella, el  7 de February a las 13:49 me escribiste:
> Walter Bright, el  6 de February a las 21:52 me escribiste:
> >
> > On 2/6/2013 3:12 PM, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> > >May I ask what other uses do you have in mind for VERSION? Do you
> > >think they could not benefit too from having a more accurate
> > >version (or even that it will have a negative impact)?
> >
> > I have several makefiles and install files that take the version
> > number as an argument - it's been a giant error-prone pain to do
> > this, and Andrei suggested a single VERSION file to take its place.
>
> And you use these only when releasing or in your daily routine too?

Since betas are starting to flowing, it will be a good oportunity to do
this. So any input for me to know how to do it in a way that it works
for everyone would be appreciated. Or is there no interest at all on
having a proper version information in the binary...