[dmd-internals] dmd-devel version number

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Fri Feb 8 03:34:26 PST 2013

Walter Bright, el  8 de February a las 03:03 me escribiste:

> On 2/8/2013 2:19 AM, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> >Leandro Lucarella, el  7 de February a las 13:49 me escribiste:
> >>Walter Bright, el  6 de February a las 21:52 me escribiste:
> >>And you use these only when releasing or in your daily routine too?
> >Since betas are starting to flowing, it will be a good oportunity to do
> >this. So any input for me to know how to do it in a way that it works
> >for everyone would be appreciated. Or is there no interest at all on
> >having a proper version information in the binary...
>
> If you only want it in the binary, then put it in a .h file.  VERSION
> is used for other things as well as generating binaries - that's the
> whole point of it. It's not scriptable if I have to do it by hand each
> time.

I think it would be good to be anywhere else where a version string is
used, but even then I wasn't planning to put it in the VERSION file,
I suggested to use the VERSION file to indicate if the extra git hash
should be specified, by adding the -devel suffix. When you want to make
a release and remove the extra development version information, just
remove the suffix from the VERSION file.

If you want to keep the VERSION file without the -devel suffix always,
I can come up with a different way to do it (a header file doesn't seems
like a good idea because this information is not static, is taken from
the output of a git command). I could add a Make variable to append this
information and you can do something like make RELEASE=1 to build
a release binary.

I think the way to go is to completely get rid of any VERSION file and
use git to set version numbers through tags, but one step at the time ;)