[dmd-internals] Fix staging branch breakiing

kenji hara k.hara.pg at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 16:37:17 PST 2013

2013/2/12 Leandro Lucarella <luca at llucax.com.ar>

> Walter Bright, el 11 de February a las 12:21 me escribiste:
> >
> > On 2/11/2013 1:59 AM, kenji hara wrote:
> > >
> > >--- commang example
> > ># fetch all remote branches
> > >git fetch upstream
> >
> > How is that different from "git remote update" ?
>
> git fetch upstream will only fetch new stuff from the upstream remote
> repository and will set the FETCH_HEAD reference.
>
> git remove update will fetch new stuff from all the remote repositories
> without touching FETCH_HEAD.

Because I always control remotes origin and upstream separately.
You can use "git remote update" instead.

> > ># Forcely re-tagging
> > >git tag -f v2.062-b1 upstream/staging~0
> >
> > What is the ~0 for?
>
> It has no effect, I don't know why he used it. REF~N is used to specify
> the Nth commit before the reference REF (for example HEAD~3 is 3 commits
> before HEAD, and is the same as specifying HEAD^^^). So REF~0 is the
> same as REF.

Yes, it is no effect, but a tag sticks always to a commit, not branch.
The form "REF~0" definitely represents a commit object, even if REF refers
a branch.
I used it in order to make the command more descriptive.

Kenji Hara