[dmd-internals] shared gitconfig?

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at erdani.com
Sun Jan 6 11:39:11 PST 2013

Hello,

I wonder how we can define a few aliases of project-wide usefulness to
git. For example, I tried today to get the latest and greatest phobos
into my repo, and got a bunch of conflicts. I searched a while on the
net to figure what the command for "just get the latest remote into my
local copy", which is entirely possible but not obvious and not easy to
find. I got it from here: http://goo.gl/pWvVB and the invocation is:

git pull --rebase -s recursive -X ours

which does work like a charm. So I wanted to define a macro called
"pull-force" like this:

# Inside ~/.gitconfig
[alias]
     pull-force = pull --rebase -s recursive -X ours

This, too, works great.

What I'd want to do next is define the alias such that other
participants to the dlang project may use it. With time we'd collect a
good set of macros that help our process.

What is the best way to share a few git config items among all
participants to dmd, druntime, phobos etc?

Thanks,

Andrei