[dmd-internals] [D-Programming-Language/dmd] e81802: forgot code.h

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Jan 6 17:52:50 PST 2013

On Sunday, January 06, 2013 17:45:27 Walter Bright wrote:
> > Even if you were merging all of your pull requests for dmd yourself rather
> > than waiting for reviews like everyone else does, by using pull requests,
> > you'd at least avoid breaking the build due to forgetting to commit
> > everything, and you'd get your changes tested on all of our platforms by
> > the pull tester. I don't see any reason for you not to do at least do
> > that much, and I thought that that's what you had previously agreed to
> > start doing.
> I did agree to the release process, which is what we did.
>
> I do several commits a day, this easily moves into hundreds for each cycle.
> Is anyone going to review them?

Ideally, yes. In reality, it would probably be a problem. We have plenty of
problems with reviews being a bottleneck already.

However, even if no one else reviews your pull requests, simply going through
the process of creating a pull request and letting the pull tester test it
will prevent problems involving files being forgotten or breaking platforms
that you don't necessarily test on. And if you _do_ test them all already,
then maybe the pull request will save you some of that effort. But it doesn't
seem to be all that uncommon that you end up having to make commits to unbreak
the build because you forgot to commit a file. And using pull requests would
catch all that sort of stuff. It would also make sure that it's all working on
machines other than your own.

- Jonathan M Davis