[dmd-internals] [D-Programming-Language/dmd] e81802: forgot code.h

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Mon Jan 7 15:58:53 PST 2013

Walter Bright, el  7 de January a las 12:39 me escribiste:
> >What I don't understand is, having all the infrastructure already
> >set up for you, why do you still want to use your own. Is an
> >incredible duplication of work!
>
> Well, if it breaks on Brad's build farm, I can't debug it. I need my
> own setup to debug it.

Yes you can, but is true that it can be a little more work. But then, you can
use both, you will catch most of the problems with your local tests, and other
problems with the auto tester, and everybody is happy :)

Remeber that queueing some pull request to be tested by the auto tester doesn't
stop you from continue your work if you use local branches for different topics
you're working on.

> > From what I see, using your own farm (which is clearly less polished than the
> >auto tester because you are not testing clean checkouts, but you own working
> >copy) is more work for everybody (including you) and more error prone.
>
> Not so clear from my point of view. When I did the last release,
> working with two branches at the same time (staging and master),
> back and forth, I had a lot of mental confusion keeping track of
> which of my machines had which version of the code on it.

Mmm, with "my machines" you're refering to your farm? In that case letting the
auto tester make that for you wouldn't be a huge win?

> With doing dmd fixes as pull requests, I wind up with two git
> repositories for dmd. One is the 'master', which is linked to the
> main dmd github repository. Then, I have another git repository
> linked to my personal github account which I use to do forks and
> pull requests from.

Exactly. You shouldn't even need to clone the "master" repository (the
organization's repository to follow github terms), at least not if you're
merging pull requests using the "Merge" button in the web interface.

> I.e. I haven't figured out how to do pull requests from the
> repository linked to github d-p-l, and I haven't figured out how to
> push to github d-p-l from the walterbright fork, if it is even
> possible. It makes my brain hurt even thinking about it.

I'd like to help you but I have to understand what you're trying to do. Do you
have also 2 github accounts? Or you have only one as the owner of the
organization? Also, are you doing any pull request merging using your local
cloned repository and then pushing the changes to the remote organization's
repository, or are you just using the "Merge" button in the web interface?