[dmd-internals] [D-Programming-Language/dmd] 47260a: Merge pull request #2101 from 9rnsr/fix10212

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Jun 1 17:23:33 PDT 2013

On Saturday, June 01, 2013 17:18:23 Walter Bright wrote:
> Oh, so *that's* what went wrong! This is entirely my fault.
>
> I was pushing one of the regressions to 2.063, and github kept saying:
>
> ----------------------------------
> mercury ~/dpl/dmd> git push origin 2.063
> To git at github.com:D-Programming-Language/dmd.git
>   ! [rejected]        2.063 -> 2.063 (non-fast-forward)
> error: failed to push some refs to
> 'git at github.com:D-Programming-Language/dmd.git' To prevent you from losing
> history, non-fast-forward updates were rejected Merge the remote changes
> before pushing again.  See the 'Note about fast-forwards' section of 'git
> push --help' for details.
> -----------------------------------
>
> git status, of course, told me nothing, so I tried git push -f.
>
> Sorry.

Either you rebased locally and altered some commits which came from the main
repository, or you had changes which conflicted with what was in the master
repo. In the first case, you screwed up by rebasing changes which weren't
yours. In the second, what you needed to have done was

git pull --rebase upstream master

and deal with any conflicts locally. Instead, you just clobbered what was in
the main repo.

- Jonathan M Davis